Share the Story:

Anglo American’s Lake Lindsay mine in the Bowen Basin has received approval for the expansion of its mining lease.

The final hurdle for the expansion of the mine has been cleared with the Queensland Government granting the mining lease. It’s reassuring news for workers as the extension will secure the long-term future of 500 jobs at the site.

Minister for Resources, Scott Stewart said the granting of the mining lease shows Queensland’s resources industry continues to go from strength to strength.

“It shows there is confidence from major mining companies that are investing in the future of Queensland’s resources industry into the future,” he said.

“Steel-making coal is one of our state’s biggest export earners, worth nearly $60 billion in the 12 months to May this year.

“We need steel for construction, domestic appliances, automotive and mechanical equipment, and also for turbines to generate renewable energy on wind farms.

“I want to congratulate Anglo American for their continued investment in their operations in the Bowen Basin because it means hundreds of good jobs and a boost to the local economy for years to come.”

The Lake Lindsay mine is part of the Capcoal operations that is located 25km south-east of Middlemount. The Capcoal operations are a joint venture between Anglo American – which owns 70 per cent and manages and operates the Lake Lindsay mine – and Mitsui Coal Holdings which owns the remaining 30 per cent. When fully operational, the expanded mine will produce 5.6 million tonnes of steel-making coal.

Anglo American Australia CEO Dan van der Westhuizen said they were pleased this extension to their mining tenure has been granted.

“The extension will allow for continuation of the mine and maintaining the employment for the existing workforce at Capcoal.

“Capcoal Open Cut is a significant contributor in our steelmaking coal portfolio and steelmaking coal is a critical element of steel, which is used in every aspect of modern life.”

Member for Rockhampton Barry O’Rourke also was pleased to see the Queensland Government granting the mining lease.

“Central Queensland has a long and proud history of mining and the industry supports thousands of good jobs.

“This is another welcome investment in the region and shows there’s confidence in the industry.”

Share the Story: