The MCA’s ESG: Change for the Better report released recently demonstrates the minerals industry is not only a leader in innovative, efficient mining and minerals processing, but also in environmental, social and governance performance practice.
The Australian industry is committed to operating in a way that is safe, ethical and responsible and aligned with community values. Australian industry expertise has long been recognised and exported around the world.
The success of Australia’s minerals industry, both now and in the future, depends upon its ability to operate in line with community expectations on environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance.
In line with the industry’s commitment to continual improvement, MCA member companies are adopting the Towards Sustainable Mining sustainability system which will drive further improvement and accountability in site-level ESG management.
The 44-page report includes case studies from a broad range of MCA member companies. These provide an insight into the ongoing commitment, investment and innovation that is occurring across the sector.
Report highlights include:
- Initiatives underway to support climate action, water stewardship and biodiversity
- Partnerships with First Nations and regional communities to support enduring outcomes
- Programs to support diverse, inclusive and respectful workplaces
- Good governance standards and practices that underpin the industry’s sustainability performance.
- Regardless of size or commodity, Australia’s mining companies are translating ESG commitments into action.
The Australian minerals industry remains committed to doing more. These ongoing efforts will ensure the industry keeps pace with changing community expectations and fully realise the opportunities afforded by responsible minerals development.
CEO, Minerals Council of Australia
|Read the ESG Change for the Better Report in full at www.minerals.org.au