Victoria’s Chief Health Officer has expressed concern about hospital workers, who he has called the “last line of defence”, being among Victoria’s rising coronavirus case numbers.
- Five staff from The Alfred Hospital are believed to have acquired the virus in the community, while three infections were found through contact tracing
- A man in his 70s died in Victoria overnight, bringing the national coronavirus death toll to 108
- More public housing tower residents, including those not part of the “hard lockdown”, have contracted COVID-19
His comments came asresidents of public housing towers which were not part of last week’s “hard lockdown” were reported as some of the 273 new coronavirus cases recorded in Victoria.
Premier Daniel Andrews said a man in his 70s died overnight, taking the national coronavirus death toll to 108.
There are now 57 Victorians with coronavirus in hospital, including 16 people in intensive care.
Eight healthcare workers at The Alfred Hospital have now tested positive to COVID-19, in what is the second outbreak at the hospital since the pandemic began.
The hospital said five staff were believed to have acquired the virus in the community, while three cases were detected through contact tracing.
Metropolitan Melbourne remained in lockdown as another 273 coronavirus cases were recorded on Sunday.(AAP: Daniel Pockett)
Currently no patients have contracted the virus within the hospital.
The infectious diseases ward now has a concierge at the entrance to log staff and the hospital has doubled its cleaning resources.
In March, three cancer patients died after contracting COVID-19 at The Alfred, while another two patients and 10 staff were also infected.
Eight workers from The Alfred have returned a positive coronavirus test.(Supplied: Alfred Health)
Coronavirus live news: Follow all the latest information in our blog.
A number of healthcare workers across many of Melbourne’s busiest hospitals have contracted the virus in recent days, and concerns have been raised about personal protective equipment (PPE).
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said there were two infections linked to Box Hill Hospital. The number of cases connected to the Brunswick Private Hospital, which closed its doors to new admissions on Thursday, is now at 11.
Premier Daniel Andrews said authorities needed “every Victorian to acknowledge that you are on the front line”.
Melbourne’s lockdown explained
Under the new restrictions, police will set up roadblocks outside the city, gyms will be closed again and people will be banned from staying in their holiday homes in regional Victoria.
“Don’t leave it to nurses and doctors to be the last line of defence,” he said.
“You are on the front line with me and my family and every family, and we all need to make smart choices for ourselves and each other.”
Professor Sutton said “it’s a concern” to see numbers rising in hospitals across Melbourne.
“As the last line of defence, we know that they are a critical workforce,” Professor Sutton said.
He says workers have PPE available to them and “know what to do”, but “it is a risk that can’t be mitigated down to zero”.
Read more about coronavirus:
At 33 Alfred Street, residents in “hard lockdown” need help to have their pets walked.(AAP: David Crosling)
The past week has also seen a rise in cases linked to patients and staff from aged care facilities.
Professor Sutton said some new cases were linked to Menarock Life Aged Care in Essendon and Glendale Aged Care in Werribee.
Australia’s 107th coronavirus death, great-grandfather Alf Jordan, was a resident at the Glendale home.
A total of 207 staff and 277 residents were tested this week, Glendale Aged Care director of operations Glenn Hannock said.
New cases have been linked to the La Manna grocery in Essendon, a Linfox distribution centre in Truganina and the JBS abattoir in Brooklyn.
Public housing residents in Carlton test positive
The Alfred Street public housing tower remains in “hard lockdown”.(AAP: David Crosling)
Stay up-to-date on the coronavirus outbreak
There are now 237 positive test results among residents of the nine public housing towers in Flemington and Kensington which were locked down last Saturday.
One of the nine towers, 33 Alfred St in North Melbourne, remains under the “hard lockdown” due to fears as much as 25 per cent of residents could contract the virus.
Thousands of goods have been donated to help residents in the Alfred Street public housing tower.(AAP: David Crosling)
The remaining eight towers are now under the same stage three stay-at-home orders as the rest of metropolitan Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire.
There are now 28 infections linked to public housing towers in Carlton, which were not placed under the strict restrictions on Saturday.
“These are challenging settings for the structural issues that are at play there and the fact that they are in hotspot areas in terms of transmission,” Professor Sutton said.
Residents of the 33 Alfred Street building are not under the same stage three restrictions as the rest of Melbourne, and are instead only allowed to leave their homes for medical or compassionate reasons or exercise.
Temporary fencing was set up around the tower on Saturday night, which was later removed after community and legal intervention.
The fencing was removed overnight.(Twitter: Flemington and Kensington Legal Service)
“We understand that as soon as residents saw those, they became quite upset,” Inner Melbourne Community Legal chief executive Damian Stock said.
“Thankfully the fences were taken down pretty quickly, but it should never have happened. The fences shouldn’t have gone up in the first place.”
Mr Stock said there were concerns many of the residents had not been outside since the lockdown came into effect last Saturday.
In a statement, a DHHS spokesperson said the agency was working to make sure residents of the tower got fresh air and exercise, and it would be providing tenants with gloves and masks.
“The health and safety of public housing tenants has always been our priority and we’ll continue to implement everything we can to keep tenants safe and ensure they have the support they need to slow the spread of coronavirus,” the spokesperson said.
“A range of communication channels have been employed to connect with residents, including online, phone, face-to-face and engagement of community leaders and local networks.”
What you need to know about coronavirus: