Connect with us

National

Victorian charged with breaching self-quarantine direction hours after crossing border into SA – ABC News

A Melbourne man has been charged with failing to follow directions to self-isolate for two weeks upon his arrival in South Australia.

Published

on

post featured image

A Melbourne man has been charged with failing to follow directions to self-isolate for two weeks upon his arrival in South Australia.
Key points:

  • Police announced the closure of the Victorian border earlier this week
  • The man had entered the state before the closure at midnight on Wednesday
  • The ADF has now been mobilised to the south-east of SA

SA Police attended a property in Glenelg about 8:00pm on Thursday after receiving information the man was not quarantining at the place nominated by him following his entry into the state from Victoria on Wednesday.
On arrival, police allegedly spotted the man leaving and driving away in a Holden SUV.
Patrols followed the man and upon stopping his car, discovered he had only booked himself accommodation for a single night, as opposed to the 13 nights he was required to self-isolate.
The 35-year-old from Keysborough, in Melbourne’s south-east, has been charged with failing to comply with a direction, and was refused bail.
He appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court today and was remanded in custody to reappear on August 12.
Coronavirus live news: Follow all the latest information in our blog.
The arrest came a day after the hard closure of the border with Victoria came into effect, with the SA Government citing the eastern state’s “clear threat” to public health.
Cars lined up at a border checkpoint at Bordertown.(ABC News: Michael Clements)
Only SA residents or those granted a special exemption can now pass through checkpoints along the border.
The new restriction came into effect at midnight on Wednesday, hours before the SA Government announced strict new requirements for local residents returning home.
All residents returning will now be required to take a coronavirus test within 24 hours of their arrival, and another 12 days later.
Victorian residents attempting to cross will be turned away, unless they are essential travellers and abide by strict conditions.
Stay up-to-date on the coronavirus outbreak
ADF personnel mobilised to south-east
SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens today reinforced the strict conditions, with the Australian Defence Force (ADF) to join patrols this weekend.
“The ADF are currently mobilising and moving down to the south-east over the course of the weekend,” he said.
“There will be continuing increased activity on their part so that they can join South Australian police on the borders.
“We’ll be working to make sure that we build that capacity as we get additional resources down there.”
The police presence has been boosted along the SA-Victoria border.(ABC News: Samantha Dawes)
Commissioner Stevens said there would now be three levels of control at access routes into the state.
“The first level will have dedicated police officers on those high-volume areas, secondary roads into South Australia will be staffed in a team effort with ADF and police officers.
“Then we’ll have a third tier where we’re actually blocking roads and installing surveillance and using other techniques to identify people who might try and breach those roadblocks.”
He said essential travellers would be required to wear face masks, while those with exemptions would be provided with them at the border.
What you need to know about coronavirus:

Click here to view the original article.